Is Febreze Dangerous?
There are varieties of fragrance choices available in air fresheners of the current time. Some smell like roses and some give you smell of fresh breezy morning. But we may not be aware of the fact that these sweet smells may harm our health.
A lot of research has been done in the past few years to analyze the effect of some common chemicals found in our homes. And it has been found that the chemicals found in most of the air fresheners may give you serious health hazards.
Here we are going to discuss Febreze Air Freshener which is Proctor & Gamble product.
EWG Finds Carcinogen in Febreze
In 2009 the Environmental Working Group (EWG) tested Febreze to find out whether it is safe for being supplied in schools for cleaning. The results were quite surprising as it was revealed that it contains 89 different air contaminants. Out of these one chemical is a carcinogen. On the contrary, the company only discloses three chemical ingredients.
The chemicals released by this air freshener are third highest in numbers by any product. But if you go by the label of the air freshener it only contains water, odor eliminator, fragrance, non-flammable natural propellant, and quality control ingredients.
Can they hide anything more?
Following are the few chemicals found in the studies of EWG:
It one of the compounds present in California's Prop 65 list which can cause cancer and problems related to the reproductive system.
It is a chemical that can cause harm brain and nervous system.
This chemical can cause hormone disruption, irritation, and allergies the skin and eyes.
It can cause allergies to skin and eyes.
As per the California Environmental Protection Agency, It can cause cancer in animals.
Reasons to use Natural Air Fresheners:
Natural ways of freshening your home's air are certainly safer. We should prefer opening the windows of our houses than using air fresheners. Using baking soda and vinegar mixed with essential oil is a great option to remove odors from our houses. Following are few of the reasoning’s which might convince you for this:
- Any air freshener like Febreze cannot remove the odor molecules rather it covers the odor molecules. So when you inhale, you not only inhale the odor molecules but the chemicals found in air freshener are going in your body as well.
- It has been reported that Febreze contains a chemical that can cause cancer.
- Febreze also contains such chemicals that can cause hormone disruption and developmental problems.
- Febreze also contains neurotoxic chemicals.
- Chemicals found in Febreze can cause allergies to the skin, eyes, and lungs.
- The most dangerous fact is Febreze does not give a clear idea about the ingredients used in it.
So we should clearly understand one thing, that no air freshener can clean the air or remove the odor. It just covers the odor molecules and thus makes us more prone to bacteria and viruses.